Each student requires a computer with the following minimum specifications:
- Not more than 5 years old
- Capable of connecting to the internet (wired or wireless) - not less than 5Mbps upload/download
- Working webcam located on the top bezel above the display, or mounted on top of the display such that the scholar’s face is visible while viewing the screen
- Working microphone and speakers (headset recommended)
- ChromeOS (102 or higher), Windows 10, or macOS (10.15 or higher) operating system
- Chrome browser (version 103+ for 2022-2023 school year)
- At least 4GB RAM
- At least one available USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port (for document camera connection)
Most grade levels also have significant offline/hand-written assignments. We recommend a printer in the home where possible, but weekly printable packets are available to print quickly and inexpensively at most print and copy shops (FedEx Store, Office Depot, UPS Store, etc.).
Please note that a tablet (e.g. an iPad) will typically not suffice as a primary device, as most tablets will not be able to connect to the document camera.
Great Hearts Online curriculum includes both online and offline activities. The online activities require a stable internet connection. Since much of the online content will include live or recorded video, we suggest an unmetered plan without restrictions on the total amount of bandwidth consumed.
Recommended Device Specifications
- Chromebook (any brand)
- 4GB RAM
- 2 x USB 2.0 (or 1 + headset jack)
- 11" or greater Display (14” suggested)
- Bezel-Mounted Webcam
- 25+GB Disk Space
- OKOCAM S (Provided with Success Kit)
- Headset (if necessary in your environment)
- Printer (USB preferred vs WiFi)
- Google Suite (Slides/Sheets/Docs)
- Spinsafe Web Filter for Chrome (or equivalent)
- Zoom for GSuite
Please note that FamilyLink configurations may not provide sufficient management controls to allow access to mandatory educational resources. We suggest logging in to your Chromebook with a greatheartsonline.org Google account for schoolwork, rather than using a personal Google account.