HEIC is Apple's proprietary version of the HEIF or High-Efficiency Image File format. Apple's iPhone and iPad take photos in the HEIF image format by default due to its small file size to high-quality ratio. There are two ways to convert HEIC to JPG either by a third-party app or change the settings in the iPhone/iPad.
Conversion through an App
- Download HEIC to JPEG from the App Store and launch it.
- Tap select Images and choose one or more pictures.
- Tap Share as JEPG at the top-right.
- Now, tap Save Image. If you wish to share it using another app or service, choose one from the Share Sheet.
Stop Using HEIC Format
Please note that after making this change, all photos taken with your Apple device will be taken in JPG format and videos will use MOV format using H.264 encoding (instead of H.265). You can change formats at any time by visiting the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone. Scroll down and tap on Camera. Then, tap Formats from the list of Camera settings.
- Under Camera Capture and select Most Compatible.